Ruth Alejandra Mora B.Arch., M.Arch, OAA, LEED ap., MFA
Ruth is an architect-artist, co-founder of Sumo Project. In addition to her Master in Architecture degree, Ruth is an MFA graduate from Pratt Institute in ‘New Forms’ concentration (non-traditional forms of art) and was distinguished with the MFA’s Outstanding Achievement Award. She commutes between Toronto and New York and continues to be active in both the architectural and artistic realms, working in erasing the line between the two. Her work deals with space and the boundaries related to human sensibility and psyche. She has been a guest critic at the University of Toronto and Pratt Institute’s Faculty of Architecture.
Pratt Institute, Master of Fine Arts, New Forms Emphasis (with Honors)-
LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design), Accredited Professional
University of Toronto, Master of Architecture
Simón Bolívar University, Bachelor in Architecture
- Artist Project Opening Night (Feb 18) “Our Critique of Everyday life” (performance/installation) http://www.theartistproject.com/gp_artists/ruth-mora-rachel-delph/
- Toronto Design Offsite Festival (TO DO) 2016. (Jan 18-24) with the “Leonia” luminaire http://todesignoffsite.com/event/leonia/
- “Artist for Refugees” Fundraiser Exhibition (Oct 24th, 2015) Participant and co-curator (with Gaston Soucy and Robert Gaudette) at Studio 223a
- 2015 (May 29) Musical performance : N A V I /Stage design / Video, 3D Mapping and projection : Derooted Creative Agency, SUMO Project and Javier Lovera Photography. As part of NXNE 2014, NAVI performs the first two of three movements from the debut album ‘Derelict_528. https://www.facebook.com/derooted.creative/videos/10153376220186789/
- 2015 (January 24 – June 7, 2015) “A Dawn for Leonia ” installation for ‘Rewild: Architecture Defines a New Landscape” at Harbourfront Centre, Toronto
- “Chroma”(January 22-25) artistic highlight of ‘Access America Design Pavilion’ at the Interior Design Show (IDS15), Toronto
- 2014 (Dec 21-Mar21) ‘Construction/Destruction’ (with Javier Lovera Photography & Derooted), Stantec Window Gallery, Toronto Canada-see: http://www.stantecwindowgallery.com/about.html
- 2014 (Sep 6 to Oct26)’Si Non Hominis’ as part of ‘ To Be Destroyed – a Call For Ideas’ at The Museum Of Contemporary Canadian Art (MOCCA) -see: http://mocca.ca/exhibition/tbd/
- 2014 ‘Ignorance and Indifference’ as part of ‘If You Build It: in Sugar Hill’ invited by Harlem Art in Flux as part of No Longer Empty organized show
- -see http://www.nolongerempty.org/nc/home/what-we-do/exhibitions/exhibition/if-you-build-it/
- 2014 ‘The Faces of Kensington’ as part of Scotiabank Contact Photography festival –with Javier Lovera Photography & Motion & Derooted – see http://scotiabankcontactphoto.com/events/1855
- 2014 ‘ ‘Shadow Variations’(video),as part of URBAN FACTORS’ in the Toronto Design Offsite Festival (TODO) , Toronto –see: http://todesignoffsite.com/events-2/urban-factors-300-seconds/
- 2013 ‘Feeling Time’ ,video installation, as part of NYxDesign –see http://nycxdesign.com/events/pratt-institute-mfa-thesis-project-by-ruth-a-mora-izturriaga/#.UaOSA0rhc34
- 2013 ‘Feeling Time’, video installation, MFA (solo Show), at Pratt Institute, NY
- 2013 ‘Eat me, Drink me, See me’(group show), with “Armor” (printmaking series) at Pratt Institute, NY.
- 2013 ‘Come Up to my Room’, with ‘In All Falsehood’(installation) at The Gladstone Hotel, rom 202, Toronto.
- 2012 ‘Bigger than you'(group show) with ’projections’(silkscreen) at Kunsthalle Galapagos Gallery,NY.
- 2012 ‘Whitney Biennial’, featured with artist in residence Michael Clark in Who’s Zoo? at the Whitney Museum of American Art, NY
- 2011 ‘Migrating Landscapes’, Toronto, Canada /Pre-selection for Canada’s Official entry for the Venice Biennale http://migratinglandcapes, and http://migratinglandscapes-on.tumblr.com/page/3
- 2011 ‘Time’, Digital Photography,DDA Gallery, Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY
- 2011 ‘Superstition’, Graduate Silkscreening, Fine Arts Gallery, Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY
- 2010 ‘De-Constructed City’ (with Tim Belanger & Aaron Finbow), Stantec Window Gallery, Toronto Canada
- 2006 ‘One Inch Punch’ 50 artist 50 buttons, Lenox Contemporary Gallery, Toronto
- “Artist for Refugees” Fundraiser Exhibition (Oct 24th, 2015) 2014’Urban Factors’ Jan 20-26,2014 at 223 Studio Gallery, as part of Toronto Off Site Festival Co-Curator with Gaston Soucy .
- 2013 Stantec Window Gallery (Co-Curator)
- 2009-2011 Stantec Window Gallery please see: stantecwindowgallery.com/
- 2008‘Contemporary Residential Slovak Architecture 1989-2005’ With Gastón Soucy (as SUMO project) + Miroslav Olejar, University Of Toronto, Faculty of Architecture, Larry Wayne Richard Gallery, Toronto, Canada
Honors & Awards
- 2013 Master of Fine Art’s Outstanding Merit, from Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY.
- 2013 Juror’s Choice Award, Toronto Off Site Festival, to Ruth Mora &Gaston Soucy (SUMO Project) Installation for Come Up To My Room, Toronto, Canada
- 2013 International Student Scholarship, from Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY
- 2013 Fine Arts Department Scholarship, from Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY
- 2011 Urban Design Award for Stantec Window Gallery, as Curator
- 2011 Stantec Prize for Exellence in Design & Technical, for performance in the Stantec Achitecture Office, Toronto, Canada
- Toronto Off Site Festival: http://todesignoffsite.com/blog1/award-winners-part-1/
- Emerging Art Critic: http://emergingartcritic.com/?p=1357
- Canadian Art: http://viewoncanadianart.com/2013/01/26/toronto-design-at-the-gladstone-hotel-cutmr/
- FOR MORE INFORMATION: http://sumoproject.com/blog/portfolio/
- 2003 ‘Rites of Passage’, ‘Theses 2003’, Faculty of Architecture, Landscape & Design,University of Toronto, Canada ISBN 0-7727-8807-03
- 1995 From Conceptual Art to Architectonic Space, Thesis Publication, Universidad Simon Bolivar, Caracas, VZLA
- VARIOUS ARTICLES AT:
- 2008-Now Stantec Architecture, Toronto, Canada
- Organizer of the Design Review, a weekly lecture about design, art, & architecture
- Co-Curator of the Stantec Window Gallery, 24/7 gallery a Stantec Offices in Toronto, Canada-
- See www.stantecwindowgallery.com/
- 2005-2006 DuToit Allsopp Hillier (DTAH), Toronto, Canada,
- Assistant to partner in charge for West Don Lands Precinct Plan (Open Spaces-Project & Report).
*SUMO Project, Independent Studio of Art & Design-See sumoproject.com
SUMO Project (Gaston Soucy +Ruth A Mora ) is a multidisciplinary studio whose practice results from an obsession for all forms of art and design and the belief that “specialization is for insects”, poetry can be found in the prosaic, beauty in the ugly and mundane, playfulness in the utilitarian and, in doing more with the least amount of available resources. SUMO practices includes architecture, urban design, landscape, furniture, curatorship, artwork, installations, etc.
- 2010-2013 Guest Teacher for Prof. David Maestres, Pratt Institute, Faculty of Architecture, Design Studio, NY, NY
- 2006 Guest Teacher for Prof. Gaston Soucy, University of Toronto, Urban Design Studio, Toronto, Canada.
- 2008 Guest Lecturer: for Prof. Gerardo Paez, University of Toronto, Architecture Design Studio, Toronto, Canada.Lecture: Caracas, Urban History
- 2000-2001 Teaching Assistant, University of Toronto, Faculty of Architecture, Architecture and Cultural Difference, Toronto, Canada
- English, Spanish, Italian
- Upon Request